For those of you that have been following Ola Bini’s work on Ioke, the dynamic language for the JVM, I am happy to report that the current release 0.1.1 is usable enough to solve Project Euler problems with. I wanted to learn more about Ioke and the best way to learn a new language is to use it on your own. So, here is some example Ioke code for some of the simpler Project Euler problems.
I have been experimenting with various search options for the eutveckling.se site for a while. Google Custom Search is nice and very fast, but the number of ads appearing in the search result page makes it difficult for users to separate result items from ads. (Update: I am sticking with Google Custom Search until I figure out how to get Yahoo search to present proper excerpts).
Everyone is celebrating this friday in a different way, apparently:
Tim Bray has an interesting post titled What Sun Should Do where he lists some suggestions. I have been thinking about Sun for a while and how my own image of the company has changed over the years. A long time ago I was working for Cambridge Technology Partners (later acquired by Novell). We did a lot of interesting projects, some of which were deployed on Sun hardware. At that time (around ’97-’98) my image of Sun was that it was a huge company selling huge hardware at huge prices.
The Django cache middleware is great, but has one drawback. If you are caching views (which can give a nice performance boost) Django will only use the path segment of the URL to create a cache key. If you are an avid reader of RFC 3986 you may remember that a URI consists of multiple components; path and query being of special interest here. The problem is documented in ticket 4992 (Update: it is not in Django).
I mean, if working with RDF has taught me one thing, it’s that converting between two different forms of serialization is trivial—it’s the underlying model that matters.
Exactly! And still, many who are in the integration business think that XML schemas is the only product required to exchange data between multiple parties. The serialization format(s) should be based on the use cases of the information. And even in a small organization use cases tend to pop up all the time demanding new formats. Most SOA-people see a problem with multiple serialization formats but I am thinking that it is almost insignificant these days if you have a well defined model.
Last night, Robert Nyman hosted yet another successful Geekmeet in Stockholm. I got one of the lightning talk slots and decided to skip my planned presentation and instead show some of my experiments with slit-scan photography. The presentation slides (in swedish) are available (8 Mb PDF) here.
I swear, if I read one more programming tutorial that starts with a recursive factorial function instead of a simple “Hello world” I’ll pray for perpetual nigerian spam on their inboxes. So, I was delighted to try out some Ocaml stuff today that didn’t involve factorials.
We went to Goult in Provence on vacation in August and had a great time. While there, we met Bertil Hansson, artist and photographer. We got talking about digital cameras and how they take excellent pictures that can be viewed immediately. I have been sort of bored with taking pictures lately, but Bertil lent me his Holga for a week and I had a really great time with it!
In my pet project eurlex.nu I find a lot of weird stuff when scraping documents from the official website eur-lex.europa.eu. The most recent specimen – Final adoption of amending budget No 4 of the European Union for the financial year 2008 – has the publish date 80/80/2200. That’s almost two hundred years into the future with an invalid day/month combo on top. This leads me to believe that the system is in such a broken state that even simple date validation isn’t implemented.
Someone delivered a really poor software project for our tax money. I would love to redo the european legal information website with proper standards (e.g. validating HTML, RDF and proper semantics).
Without making a press release or public announcement the Swedish Standards Institute has formally approved ODF 1.0 as a national standard. Only the “SS” prefix in SS-ISO/IEC 26300:2008 give away the status of the document.
While I was catching up on the development of IE8 I found this over at the IE blog: